What is the Coalition?
The Coalition for Mental Health and Wellbeing in the European Parliament is a real change-maker and a platform of like-minded MEPs amplifying the voices of people with mental health problems and advocating for a coordinated response to address the most pressing determinants of mental health.
Established in 2012 by Mental Health Europe, the Coalition brings together MEPs from most of political groups working towards the inclusion and mainstreaming of positive mental health in all policies.
What does it do?
In the 9th legislature, the Coalition for Mental Health and Wellbeing will:
- Advocate for a comprehensive European Mental Health Strategy
- Ensure the implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities by the European Union (UN CRPD) and the European Pillar of Social Rights
- Advance mental health-friendly employment and other social policies
- Make sure that the European Parliament stands up for policies that respect the human rights of persons with mental health problems in line with the UN CRPD
- Represent and convey the voices of (ex)users of mental health services at the EU level
- Contribute to building sustainable, transparent and recovery-oriented mental health systems
- Ensure equal recognition of mental and physical health at the EU political level and a proper allocation of resources to policies positively affecting mental health of people in Europe
- Fight mental health stigma
- Monitor the activities of the European Commission and other EU institutions.
This Coalition will allow MEPs to stand up for positive mental health, advancement of quality of care, and human rights. Through this Coalition, MHE will support MEPs with:
- formulating amendments to legislative proposals,
- preparing Parliamentary questions,
- drafting their own-initiative reports,
- organising hearings and events related to mental health,
- alerting Coalition members about important developments in relation to mental
- health and wellbeing at European level.
In practical terms, the Coalition:
- Supports the development and implementation of comprehensive, unbiased mental health-friendly policies
- Champions mental health and wellbeing, particularly for people in vulnerable situations
- Promotes the involvement of (ex)users of mental health services in political decisions
How do we operate?
Coalition receives secretarial support from Mental Health Europe a Brussels-based NGO representing associations and individuals in the field of mental health including users of mental health services, professionals, service providers and volunteers.
Coalition’s activities are co-funded by Mental Health Europe’s funds, mainly a grant from the Open Society Foundations.
(transparency register: 245350514009-47)